„ The Shadow of the Wind“ by Carlos Ruiz Zafón


DEAR READERS,
Have you read
„ The Shadow of the Wind“, writen by Carlos Ruiz Zafón?

Have you known C.R.Zafón?
The Spanish writer, who was born in Barcelona in 1964. He had already published four successful novels for young people  and is the award-winning author of 5 books.
I have had a luck to get this book as a present from my students
And you are welcomed to share a part of this excellent book and I wish you to spend a great time  by reading it.
...............................................

     I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
......
     I was raised among  books, making invisible friends in pages that seemed cast from dust and whose smell I carry on my hands to this day. As a child I learned to fall asleep talking to my mother in the darkness of my bedroom, telling her about the day´s events, my adventures at school, and the things I had been taught. I couldn´t  hear her voice or feel her touch, but her radiance and her warmth haunted every corner of our home, and I believed, with the innocence of those who can still count their age on their ten fingers, that if I closed my eyes and spoke to her, she would be able to hear me wherever she was. Sometimes my father would listen to me from the dinning room, crying in silence.
     On that June morning, I woke up screaming at first light. My heart was pounding in my chest asi f my very soul was trying to escape. My father hurried into my room and held me in his arms, trying to calm me.
     „I can´t remember her face. I can´t remember Mummy´s face,“ I muttered, breathless.
     My father held me tight.
....................
     „Come,  Daniel, get dressed. I want to show you something,“ he said.
„Now? At five o´clock in the morning?“
     „Some things can only be seen in the shadows,“ my father said .........

Did you like it? I am sure you did.
by Dana Stredáková, Hotel Academy teacher

Comments